power source in loft
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
phil19
Labourer
Labourer

power source in loft

by phil19 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:51 pm

Hi there,

I have installed an aerial for a new freeview tv in my son's room. This is connecting to a loft aerial that already has my bedroom freeview TV attached.
The signal was poor when connecting the second tv and so I have got a booster to install near the loft aerial. However I do not have any plug sockets for the power source to plug the booster in.
I was told I can use the lighting circuit that is in the loft to wire up the plug - using a junction box.

Is this safe and easy to do?
Can anyone explain how I can do this?
Thanks

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:29 am

You can do this if the booster is rated either at the same or less than the fuse/breaker suppling the lighting circuit. But you must remember that when you are isolating your circuits the booster will be on the lighting circuit not the power circuit suppling your sockets.
Most lighting circuits are now installed using the loop in method it may advisable to find the last installed light and take your feed from there then a junction box will not be needed.
Also you must be aware that although additions to circuits unless in special locations are not covered by The part p document of building regulations, you will need a minor works certificate to commision the work.
KB

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:56 am