Power Supply Cable Depth in Floor
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
MilliesDad
Labourer
Labourer

Power Supply Cable Depth in Floor

by MilliesDad » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:02 pm

This is a first post so thanks for participating in the forum and I fully appreciate any help.
I'm preparing to lay electric underfloor heating in a bedroom with a concrete base which will ultimately receive a wooden floor.
The fused spur providing power is situated on a wall some 500mm from the edge of the heating mat. The distance between the edge of the heating mat and the wall exists because fitted wardrobes currently occupy the space - the power socket is inside the wardrobe on the external wall to which the wardrobes attach.
My question is to what depth do I need to submerge the power cable into the floor between the edge of the mat and the wall ? My understanding is 50mm but would appreciate confirmation . Many thanks in anticipation.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Power Supply Cable Depth in Floor

by ericmark » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:53 am

Correct 50 mm is depth when not protected but in real terms you will be removing the floor anyway to fit the insulation so would install conduit while floor is removed, and that could even be visible. I found electric underfloor heating useless, takes too long to warm up, had it in wetroom, so below tiles which conduct heat well, it would take an hour for floor to feel warm, and 3 hours before room felt the chill removed, max temp for UFH is 27 deg C so just 7 deg C above the standard temperature setting so it is very slow, and once the 6 inch insulation blocks had been fitted the floor was not really cold even without the UFH on, so all in all waste of money.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 5:28 am