DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Problem With 12V MR16 Downlighter

Postby mawallace » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:22 pm

One of our MR16 12v dowlighter's has developed a problem.

when it is 'free' of the light fitting it works - as soon as you push it into the ceiling it stops working.

I think the cable in the roof has become damaged.

If I want to replace the MR16 fitting do I need to notify the building regulation authority?

I was thinking of removing the transformer and then fitting LED's - is this something that needs to be notified?
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:47 pm


Simply Build It

Postby BLAKEY1963 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:58 pm


You could inquire with local authority building control in your area to see if your intended works is notifiable.
Or you could consult a registered electrician in your area , for advice.
Rank: Site Agent
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 684
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:57 pm

Postby ericmark » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:56 pm

Sorry my reply disappeared while I was writing, It will come under Part P in that you need to follow BS7671 or similar regulations, but in the loft space I would not think this needs registering, you can just go ahead and do it.

There are special locations and work in these should be registered, also new circuits, and replacing consumer units. However in England the special location is the bathroom only, in Wales it also includes the kitchen and garden.

Not sure on Scotland.
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2567
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:49 pm
Location: Llanfair Caereinion, Mid Wales.

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics