Problem with Contract taps & stainless sinks
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Braindeadamoeba
Labourer
Labourer

Problem with Contract taps & stainless sinks

by Braindeadamoeba » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:44 am

I seem to have a problem with contract taps and plastic backnuts fitted to stainless kitchen sinks. Soon after installation the taps start to move about. If I tighten them too much the nuts break. I tried silicone but it soon broke free and acted more like a lubricant. I have also used pipe sealant. One suggestion has been to throw away the plastic backnuts and use brass ones but my local plumb center has no stock. Should I use the old fashioned putty? Ideas welcome.

swidders
Ganger
Ganger

by swidders » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:24 pm

plumbers mait (putty) should do the trick

Stelf
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Stelf » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:18 pm

Hi
What you require are two top hat washers, available at any plumbing shop. Sink taps protrude through the holes in the sink too far to allow the nuts to be tightened. Place the taps in the holes in the sink, making sure they have a sealing washer between the tap and sink or a sealant such as Plumbers Mate , fitted to the tap before inserting into tap orifices. OOer!! Slip on the top hat washers over the threaded part under the sink top then fit and tighten up your back nuts. Job Done.
Best wishes.

Braindeadamoeba
Labourer
Labourer

Thank You

by Braindeadamoeba » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:45 pm

Hi Guys, Thanks for the advice. Must admit I don't think that I have tried Plumbers Mait under a tap. However since making my original post, a friend suggested 'Fix a tap' who do a set for stainless sinks consisting of a top hat washer and a rubber seal that goes onto the tap threads and goes though the hole in the sink into the top hat washer making a very solid fit. £4 for a two tap kit. It took a few phone calls to find one but it was well worth it as it was a solid fit with very little tension on the backnut. Cheers.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:40 pm

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:34 pm