problem with washing machine.......
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
vw754
Ganger
Ganger

problem with washing machine.......

by vw754 » Sat May 03, 2008 1:50 pm

Got a problem with the washing machine,the barrel inside inside is not turning,its doing everything it should except the barrel doesn't turn either washing or spinning.

Ive took the top off of the machine today cant see anything out of place i.e loose wiring or broken belt....any one?

its an ''INDESIT WG 1285 W around 8 years old.

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Sun May 04, 2008 2:18 pm

IF BELT IS ON DRUM AND MOTOR AND IS NOT SLIPPING IT MAY BE THAT THE MOTOR HAS PACKED UP OR THE MOTOR BRUSHES NEED REPLACING.

vw754
Ganger
Ganger

by vw754 » Tue May 06, 2008 9:25 pm

[quote="ALDA"]IF BELT IS ON DRUM AND MOTOR AND IS NOT SLIPPING IT MAY BE THAT THE MOTOR HAS PACKED UP OR THE MOTOR BRUSHES NEED REPLACING.[/quote]

Any ideas what the bushes look like? i cant seem to locate them in my machine!

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Wed May 07, 2008 11:50 am

Htg Engineer already answered this in your other thread on the same subject.

His suggestion that you get a technician to look at it for you seems eminently sensible to me.

Cheers

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Wed May 07, 2008 5:13 pm

V,

THE BRUSH ASSEMBLIES ( NORMALY TWO) ARE LOCATED WITHIN THE REAR OF THE MOTOR HOUSING.

SPRING LOADED CARBON BRUSHES, WITHIN THEIR OWN SMALL HOUSING SCREWED TO THE MOTOR HOUSING.

HAVING READ YOUR OTHER POST/S, THE ADVICE GIVEN IS VALID.

ALDA.

seige
Apprentice
Apprentice

by seige » Sat May 10, 2008 11:17 pm

If the motor sounds like it's trying to turn, or is making a horrible noise, I'd say that the bushes aren't the fault. The motor *cannot* spin much at all if the the bushes are dead.

If the motor's spinning and not turning the belt, you *could* have collapsed bearings in the drum. We had the same problem and the drum had literally locked up... the motor was fine, but was spinning and gnawing at the belt.

Bushes are user-serviceable with a little help, and compared to the callout charge vs. £3-10 for bushes and an hour or so, it's a worthwhile plan!

I'm no expert, but I'm a keen DIYer and the amount of times I've sorted out a friends/family members washing machine successfully without hefty bills proves to me that it's worth having a go first.

i.e., my mother (who's a pensioner) got stung £45 (WITHOUT REPAIR) for a callout just to tell her she needed a new pump and filter assembly. On inspection, it was nothing worse than a 5p coin stuck in the filter.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:47 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:12 pm