Problems with insulation in a garage conversion
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
andrew_brown
Labourer
Labourer

Problems with insulation in a garage conversion

Post by andrew_brown » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:55 am

Hi,

I am having problems with the insulation in a garage conversion that was completed at the end of last year. The house is a modern timber frame house with an internal garage that has now been converted to a family room. The garage has been insulated with kingspan insulation behind the plaster board, but due to vents in the eves there is a bad draft in the 1" gap between the plasterboard and the kingspan. The draft can be felt at power sockets or when the plasterboard is cut.

I am looking for suggestions on the best way to fix this problem. If possible I'd prefer not to remove all the plasterboard, but will do if necessary.

Can I get something to fill the gap between the insulation and the plasterboard? Or do I need to remove the plasterboard, plug the gaps, and re-plaster/re-decorate the room?

Many thanks,

Andrew.

paulanliz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by paulanliz » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:24 pm

Have you thought about using expanding foam to spray into the gaps, that should stop the draughts

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

Post by Perry525 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:59 pm

This is a peranial fault, the insulation should have been glued to the walls and the insulation wet plastered. Celotex make an ideal product.
The best bet is to remove the plasterboard and glue the insulation to the walls making sure you fill ever tiny hole then fill the remaining gap with more insulation or plaster, then instal a plastic damp proof membrane, to stop the indoors water vapour getting into the wall and rotting the wood.

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:14 am

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:34 pm