Problems with my recently fitted gas fire!!
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Bower
Labourer
Labourer

Problems with my recently fitted gas fire!!

by Bower » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:13 pm

Hi,

We have recently installed a new marble fireplace and Flavel Windsor gas fire.

I fitted the fireplace and got a corgi registered gas fitter to install the fire (kind of a friend of the family)

Everything was fine until my other half noticed a brown burn mark appearing above the fire. I kept an eye on it and tried not to use it unless it was freezing. I have noticed that when it is in use the top (chrome surround) of the fire gets really hot. Obviously this is to be expected but surely it shouldn't ruin a fireplace??

Has the fire been fitted incorrectly?

We have noticed the we do tend do get a little sleepy when it's on but have put it down to being cozy.

I have stopped using the fire now and will be buying a carbon monoxide tester but anybody’s advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:48 am

Get the fire checked out - it could just be marks off the heat, but could also be signs of the fire spilling products of combustion.

An engineer will check the catchment space, the flue, the flue terminal and spillage and flue flow.

Bower
Labourer
Labourer

by Bower » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:33 pm

Thanks for your reply.

OK I'll call the guy that fitted it. Would you expect a fire to burn the fireplace surround then? I know heat rises but surely it should be dispersed somewhere rather than heating up the fire surround and then burning the marble surround?

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:11 pm