Problems with skirting boards after damp proofing walls
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kevinmartinuk
Labourer
Labourer

Problems with skirting boards after damp proofing walls

Post by kevinmartinuk » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:04 pm

This is my first time using a forum for a subject I know little about. However I have learnt an amazing amount during 2020 lockdowns.

I am currently installing skirting boards but have come across this annoying problem. I am renovating a property that has carpets throughout. These carpets were installed before I knew I had rising damp. After sorting this with a tanking membrane, plasterboards, plaster on top this has made the walls thicker. Meaning when I installed the first skirting board the carpet does not lie correctly to it.

What solutions would be the best? Cut the carpet edges so it fits perfectly? Install the skirting boards on top of the carpet so that when it needs replacing the skirting boards will have to be removed? Or finally a solution that my DIY brain has not thought of? I would very much appreciate your advice here so I can continue with the job?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Problems with skirting boards after damp proofing walls

Post by stoneyboy » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:35 pm

Hi kevinmartinuk
Peel the carpet back, fit new skirting boards (Including painting them) and then trim the carpet to suit.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:54 pm