Professional paint- is it better than the DIY stores own
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tsb
Tradesman
Tradesman

Professional paint- is it better than the DIY stores own

by tsb » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:37 pm

Have recently bought some professional! undercoat paint at £22 a tin, compared to the normal stores own brand at £7, thinking I'd be getting a better paint. Are you suppose to do something to this more expensive paint i.e. thin it down, as its as stodgy and thick as the cheap paint and as hard to put on. It doesn't even dry any differently. I've seen professional painters using gloss in the past and the paint is like water, yet it covers brilliantly, so what am I doing wrong or what is the proper way of preparing undercoat & gloss paint before using it

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:04 pm

the gloss paint you refer to like water is liquid gloss - gives an excellent high gloss finish but is very prone to running. one for the experienced hand. the stiffer stuff is non-drip, easier to use but not quite as good a finish.

the trade paints are much thicker and very definitely better. learn to apply thinner coats. they do require experience and technique. the old adage that "if you can p*** you can paint" simply is not true - not if you want a decent finish at least.

the drying time is no indication of quality whatsoever- its dependent on whether the paint is water or solvent based.

prep work - remove loose and flaking paint. sand to give a key, remove all dust and clean with a damp cloth. allow to dry, prime bare wood and apply a good quality undercoat. allow to dry for the stated time before top coating.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:44 am