Programmer Thermostat On/Off Switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
johnev
Apprentice
Apprentice

Programmer Thermostat On/Off Switch

by johnev » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:20 pm

Im seeking a thermostatically controlled on/off to the power supply – additionally with the thermostat being remote and hopefully programmable as per a central heating unit.
This is to replace a timer switch which plugs into a standard socket and itself contains a socket.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:45 am

Thermostats are available with remote sensors these are very common with underfloor electric heating but prices vary a lot and the first thing you must look at is how much power it is switching.

There are two types of remote thermostat those where only the sensor is remote and those where both the sensor and control is remote.

Both types are available with timing as well but when combining time and temperature there is again two methods.

Old type switched on and off and when on the thermostat controlled. The latter type the timer selects different temperatures never switching off just altering the temperature.

So an old timer with frost stat and room stat can now be replaced with one unit so a Horstmann DRT2 Room Thermostat at £23.25 can now do the job of all three units but according to type of load are limited to 3.5A to 5A load. See Screwfix

A 15A version as used with electric underfloor heating is more like £80 see Tops Tiles.

Radio controlled getting around the £100 mark and for the multi temperature type radio controlled looking at £160 so you really do need to say what and why with a lot more detail before anyone can really give you any good answers.

Don't forget to say how many amps or watts you want to switch.

DEEARR2
Ganger
Ganger

by DEEARR2 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:17 pm

Hi Johnev
I picked up your original post under the heating category where you are attempting to control a combi boiler via a remote programmable thermostat. Please be aware that it is not good practice to control the mains supply to a combi through a thermostat or time switch, the mains supply should be constant,for various reasons, via a 3amp spur unit mounted in the vacinity of the boiler. The programmable stat can then be connected to the control circuit of the boiler controlling the heating circuit.

Nhecko
Labourer
Labourer

Thermostat

by Nhecko » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:30 am

I am using T110 single stage thermostat because it has good features. It can be used to automatically control ventilation fans or heaters and the temperature range is 30° to 110° F. I think it costs $34.95 if I am not mistaken.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:17 am