PUTING A REMOTE CONTROL ACROSS A 45 AMP POWER LINE
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
MRTRYANDFIXIT
Labourer
Labourer

PUTING A REMOTE CONTROL ACROSS A 45 AMP POWER LINE

by MRTRYANDFIXIT » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:03 pm

I LIVE IN A 3 STOREY HOUSE. THE WORKINGS FOR THE BOILER THE IMMERSION HEATER AND ALL THINGS CONNECTED TO THE WATER SYSTEM ARE ON THE TOP FLOOR. I AM NOT SO GOOD ON MY LEGS THESE DAYS AND MAINLY LIVE ON THE GROUND FLOOR. WHAT I WANT TO DO IS PUT A REMOTELY CONTROLLED SWITCH ACROSS THE INCOMING POWER LINE THAT FEEDS ALL OF THE CONTROLS SO THAT IT IS EITHER ON OR OFF. THE PROBLEM THAT I HAVE IS THAT THE LINE HAS A 45 AMP RATING TO POWER THE IMMERSION AND OTHER THINGS AND I CAN NOT FIND ANYTHING THAT WILL COPE WITH THAT RATING. I DONT WANT TO PUT A TIMER ON THE LINE AS MY SLEEP PATTERNS AND HOURS OF WORK ARE NEVER THE SAME, I JUST WANT IT ON OR OFF. DOES ANY ONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE?

rflight
Tradesman
Tradesman

by rflight » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:34 pm

Are all these items of equip fed from one circuit. It would be possable to remotley control these but you would need to install a contactor and a smaller control circuit to switch the contactor. It's not difficult just a bit tecnical.

333rocky333
Ganger
Ganger

by 333rocky333 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:11 am

As rflight says a contacter best option, if you just want on or off, 60 amp or more contacters are available.

Immersion etc may not need as much as a 45 amp supply, so if poss get load checked as you may be able to downrate to a 20 or 32amp mcb.

you can then buy smaller din rail mounted enclosed contacters up to 40 amp which are cheaper and fit this near the board in an enclosure if closer to where you will use the remote, it may even fit inside your mcb/fusebox.

you will then need some sort of receiver control box,which will also need a supply, wired to the contacter, this is controlled by your remote signal .

You will proberly need something that transmits a signal to the box rather than having to point the remote at the box each time.
A stronger transmitter will be needed if you put the receiver on the 3rd floor

alarm shops do a set up which is used for a panic alarm with a fm transmitter, push once closes contact push again opens contacts which could be wired to control the contacter.

If unsure get someone in as your idea is possible,but could involve notifiable work if alterred at the fusebox end.

Another cheaper option is a 45 amp on/off switch fitted at fusebox end if easier to access for you

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:45 am