puting up curtain rail
Ask questions and find answers on a range of subjects relating to self build projects

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
neilipswich
Labourer
Labourer

puting up curtain rail

by neilipswich » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:47 pm

Hi

I am trying to find where i can get a drill bit that will drill a hole into a concrete lintel above a window which is over 60 years old. All the ones i have tried go blunt and wont mark the lintel.
any one can help??

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:16 pm

Neil,

Standard masonary drill bits are all you require to drill into concrete.

It is sometimes easier to drill a smaller diameter pilot hole and open this up with finished size drill bit.

You could be drilling into the steel reinforcing that is buried in the concrete.

Either reposition holes or drill through steel with an HSS drill bit.

Are you sure you are drilling a concrete lintel?

Might it be a steel lintel?

ALDA.

Nester
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Nester » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:09 am

The size and weight of the drill you use has a considerable bearing because of the percussion action. A heavier drill will give a more effective hammer action that will break up the pieces of stone or flint within the concrete. Of course, if you are hitting metal, nothing is likely to work.

toptips
Ganger
Ganger

by toptips » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:34 am

you need to spend around £3 each for a decent masonry drill bit,if you've got a pack of five from a pound shop throw them in the bin.

watcha
Apprentice
Apprentice

by watcha » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:29 pm

Hi

I know where your coming from... done this job myself ... building a Conservatory. Chances are, at worst it's steel... or possibly reinforced concrete (with iron bars embedded). I would recommend a diamond drill bit.... buy 2-3 from the likes of screwfix. Of course the weight, power in Joules etc of your drill have a bearing. Have you tried an SDS+ Drill they are incredible at digging into stuff.

Regards

Watcha

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:54 am