Putting in footings Neighbourly dispute
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
thedrainman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Putting in footings Neighbourly dispute

by thedrainman » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:02 am

I am just waiting for the planning to be approved however, my neighbour disapproves of my application, and this will be a problem when I come to put in my footings as the wall will be along the boundary line with his property.

There is a path running on his side but I need to put my footings in and the wall line will be right on the border, do my footings need to go across his side if so how do I get around this.

The same is with the rear of the extension where the back end is.

Thanks

eljaybee
Ganger
Ganger

by eljaybee » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:25 pm

You can form what is called an eccentric foundation. This were you installed the footing and then build the brickwork right on the edge of the footing. Thus the footing does not need to encroach over the boundary.

Building Control may require structural calculations for the eccentric footing dependent upon the actually layout and design of the proposal but a rough guide is to install a 600mm wide by 600mm thick concrete for single storey and a 850mm wide by 850mm thick concrete for a two storey.

raceuk11
Labourer
Labourer

by raceuk11 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:32 pm

You need to serve a notice to your neighbour under the party wall act 1996 at least 2 months in advance.
This applies to excavations within a certain distance of a party wall

Your neighbour will either counter notice with a dispute or accept the work.

He/she has a prescibed amount of time to do this

If a dispute occurs you will need to get an approved surveyor to mediate, this will be at you expense.

Hope this helps

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:31 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1