pva for browing?
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

pva for browing?

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:40 pm

hi,

plastering my bathroom which is currently exposed brickwork. for the first time ever i have used browning. dont know why, i normally use bonding but i thought i'd use it as it is on external wall.

i pva'd the walls then applied the browning when the pva was still tacky. then i read on the bag that no bonding agents should be used! oh dear... is my browning going to fall off? it has cracked up a little here and there as its dried but it seems to be perfectly sound so far.

i have to put another layer of browning on and rule off ready for skimming. i am then going to tile which will of course add weight. add to this the moisture element (being a bathroom and all) should i strip it off and start again with bonding? does one normally pva with browning? i just made the assumption without checking.

Briggy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Briggy » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:40 pm

Hello Chris, i hate to say this , but browning should be applied to a mechanical key, then just dampen, (no bonding agents) also browning doesn't like to much exposure to moisture either, Ha Ha,(bp recommedation not mine!) i don't use it anymore if i can help it! i prefer hardwall. Hope this helps! Regards.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:58 pm

thanks briggy - thats exactly as i feared. think i will strip it off and start again with a substrate more familiar. don't know why i suddenly decided to use browning anyway, i've never used it before. stick to what you know.

what exactly constitutes a mechanical key? brickwork? cement render scratch coat? or just any unbonded background? clarification would be gratefully received!

Briggy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Briggy » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:01 pm

Hello again, it's just fancy talk for raked out brickwork or running a scutch hammer over it! Regards!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:00 am