PVA glue used on walls - now emulsion cracks when dry !!!
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Maxie
Labourer
Labourer

PVA glue used on walls - now emulsion cracks when dry !!!

by Maxie » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:49 pm

Hi,

I recently had my Bathroom walls replastered and my b/f thought the plasterer said to seal the walls with PVA glue before painting. In fact he only meant to PVA the areas where we were going to tile.

Now, when we paint the walls with emulsion and it dries out....it looks like a dried up river bed....hundreds of cracks!! I think this is because the paint cannot soak into the walls because of the PVA.

What I need to know is what paint i can use on top of the PVA, so that this crackle effect doesn't occur ??

Many Thanks

Maxie

thepainterman
Apprentice
Apprentice

by thepainterman » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:59 pm

Buy some Zinsser B-I-N primer\sealer from b&q and seal all the walls and ceiling,you can then apply any coating you wish.

Maxie
Labourer
Labourer

Worked like a dream :-)

by Maxie » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:22 pm

Just wanted to post this for anyone else who comes across the same problem. The Zinsser B-I-N primer/sealer worked like a dream. It cost £13.99 a tin and rectified the problem with minimum effort. It seemed like a lot of money for the size of the tin, but it covered beautifully...a little went a long way. I have now used emulsion on top of the primer/sealer and it looks like it has been replastered....no nasty cracks or crazing...anywhere!!

So thanks for the advice painterman....it was much appreciated :-)

Maxie

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:54 pm

maxie - i am a builder and i have a tin of the stuff with me in the van always. it primes just about anything - existing paint, plaster, brick, cement, wood, the lot. it is expensive but you get what you pay for. i wouldnt do without it!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:34 am