PVA
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sherbert
Labourer
Labourer

PVA

by sherbert » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:56 pm

Hi all, had my bathroom ceiling plastered about 6-7 months ago and now the paint is peeling in different places, i was advised to pva bond it then paint again; but when applying the paint it seems to glide off and bubble in patches...help!!! any advice and remedies greatly appreciated

Sherbie :(

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:23 pm

"Hi all, had my bathroom ceiling plastered about 6-7 months ago and now the paint is peeling in different places,"

The plaster wasn't properly prepared. The originbal paint hasn't adhered properly to the plaster. It should have had a mist coat of watered down emulsion applied first to "seal" (it doesn't but its a good analogy) the surface, followed by a second coat thinned by about 10% with water followed by a third coat neat. Proportions depend on the paint being used.

"i was advised to pva bond it then paint again;"

Brilliant suggestion - NOT! PVA goes live again when you wet it. Mad idea which has actually just made the problem worse.

"but when applying the paint it seems to glide off and bubble in patches..."

Yes it would if you've PVA'd it.

"help!!! any advice and remedies greatly appreciated"

You have little option but to scrape the whole lot off and start again I'm afraid.

Hows the ventilation in the bathroom? If that isn't right humidity will add to your problems.

Cheers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:54 pm