PVA
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Tony carter
Apprentice
Apprentice

PVA

by Tony carter » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:03 am

Im plastering one of my walls tonight, my first attempt after a 5 day course.

I am plastering on plasterboard - how much pva do I need to use

We wasn't taught using PVA - Not sure how much to use.

Can someone explain PVA to me, ....Is its main surpose to slower the suction. How long must the PVA be left for before applying the first coat?

rambo77
Ganger
Ganger

by rambo77 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:34 pm

alright mate to be honest i just use it on everything cant really go wrong i think on plasterboard id use a 2-1 mix and let it almost dry to a tacky feel but like i say im only teaching myself and aint messed up yet on high porus sufaces i normally apply a coat of pva leave untill completly dry then apply another coat and skim whilst the pva is still wet

if anyone would like to correct me please feel free

tony do you have a home email if you do do ya wanna email it to me

Ross Boseley
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Ross Boseley » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:54 pm

Hi mate, you shouldn't really pva plasterboards there designed to just skim straight on to. You might find that if you pva it you're skimming will go a bit jelly like which will make it more difficult to use. hope this helps mate.

Ross

rambo77
Ganger
Ganger

by rambo77 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:29 pm

i have heard that you dont need to pva plasterboard but having done it myself i aint had no problems with the skimming and i assume that if the plasterboard has been wall papered its probably been put up the oppisite side to the plastering side ie the brown side not the grey would there still not be a need for pva before skimming?

tell me what you think

cheers

plasterer dave
Labourer
Labourer

by plasterer dave » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:14 am

if the plasterboard is new there is no need to pva it, but if it is old or has had some sort of wallcovering on it it is best to use pva at a 3:1 mix

Ross Boseley
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Ross Boseley » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:18 pm

If its the brown side out mate you shouldn't by rights plaster it but to be honest it doesn't make to much difference. If the boards are old your skimming can go off quicker than usual but personally i still wouldnt pva although i know plasterers that do but again it can affect the way your plaster goes off. It's just trial and error unfortunately mate! If the paper on the front of the boards is damaged we normally just wet it down a bit before skimming but as i said i personally wouldn't pva on straight on to plasterboard!!

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:32 pm