Qualified but know longer in the trade wanting Part P advice
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cm
Labourer
Labourer

Qualified but know longer in the trade wanting Part P advice

Post by cm » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:06 am

I was wondering if anyone out there can help me with my dilema.

In a past life I qualified as an electrician in 1984 gaining city & Guilds 3181 and 3182 part 1 & 2 in electical installation work. I believe now its C & G 2360 PT 1 & 2. I studied at 15th edition IEE regs, I then left this life style in 1993 after doing various contracting jobs mainly on the domestic side.

Last year for some unknown reason, I decided to go back to college and get my 16th Edition IEE regs. just to see if I could.

Anyway this is where I need advice, although I've kept my finger in the trade, just doing little jobs around the house or for relatives I am now going to put an extention on the house with another bathroom and bedroom and I am loathed to pay someone for work that I can do, basically a couple of lights, few extra sockets ect.

I was on the website of my local college and they have a course for domestic installation work, 15 or so weeks long, 1 day a week, something kitchen fitters etc do. Anyway as I was reading they also do a wedsite based course covering module 1 of this corse which I believe would give me Part P certification.

Does anyone out there know what is covered by this module 1 as I don't want to spend £90 on an exam without knowing what to study. Is it Health and Safety, IEE Regs or what

Also if I went ahead and done this module could I then just go ahead wire up my extention and get a local electrician to inspect and test my work inorder to satisfy building regs.

I have not done the inspection and testing course 2391 as I can't see me doing enough work to justify the expense or having the amount of work on that could be inspected by one of the governing bodies like NICEIC.

Any advice would be helpful

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:34 pm

Hi, I to intend to have extension on property. I can't really offer help on the course because because I don't know anything about that one all I know is the course that I have lokked to enroll in are a lot more expensive than the one you mentioned. Anyway as far as installation is concerned this is what i've been told can be done:
if you notify your local authority bldg control & pay their fee before starting you can DIY and someone will look at installed wiring , before plastering over cables for routing, grommets in boxes etc, & at 'second fix' stage and 'tick the boxes' they won't however do any testing or certifying so you will need to do that as a 'completion Certificate' yourself or get someone to do a 'periodic inspection' for you at the end.
Hope this is of help

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Qualified but know longer in the trade wanting Part P ad

Post by BLAKEY1963 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:24 pm

[quote="cm"]I was wondering if anyone out there can help me with my dilema.

In a past life I qualified as an electrician in 1984 gaining city & Guilds 3181 and 3182 part 1 & 2 in electical installation work. I believe now its C & G 2360 PT 1 & 2. I studied at 15th edition IEE regs, I then left this life style in 1993 after doing various contracting jobs mainly on the domestic side.

Last year for some unknown reason, I decided to go back to college and get my 16th Edition IEE regs. just to see if I could.

Anyway this is where I need advice, although I've kept my finger in the trade, just doing little jobs around the house or for relatives I am now going to put an extention on the house with another bathroom and bedroom and I am loathed to pay someone for work that I can do, basically a couple of lights, few extra sockets ect.

I was on the website of my local college and they have a course for domestic installation work, 15 or so weeks long, 1 day a week, something kitchen fitters etc do. Anyway as I was reading they also do a wedsite based course covering module 1 of this corse which I believe would give me Part P certification.

Does anyone out there know what is covered by this module 1 as I don't want to spend £90 on an exam without knowing what to study. Is it Health and Safety, IEE Regs or what

Also if I went ahead and done this module could I then just go ahead wire up my extention and get a local electrician to inspect and test my work inorder to satisfy building regs.

I have not done the inspection and testing course 2391 as I can't see me doing enough work to justify the expense or having the amount of work on that could be inspected by one of the governing bodies like NICEIC.

Any advice would be helpful[/quote]

CM
I AM QUITE SURE U R UP 2 THE WORK !
THE EMPHASIS IS ON INSPECTION AND TESTING .
I DO NOT KNOW WHAT IS INVOLVED ON THIS PART P MODULE , AND U NEED TO GO TO YOUR COLLEGE AND ASK EXACTLY , WHAT IT WOULD
INVOLVE.
CURRENTLY A PERSON ON A SELF CERTIFIED COMPETENT PERSONS
SCHEME WITH ONE OF THE SCHEME PROVIDERS , EG ECA , NAPPIT ,
BRE, ELECSA , NICEIC . WOULD NEED TO DESIGN ,CONSTRUCT , AND
INSPECT AND TEST THE WORK HIMSLEF TO CERTIFY THE WORK
TO SATIFY LOCAL AUTHORITY BUILDING CONTROL.
NOW IF U COULD GET A PART P PERSON INVOLVED THEN U MIGHT BE ABLE TO ASSIST WITH THE WORK, AND GET THE CERTIFICATION.

BLAKEY1963

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Hi CM, lots of people in similar situations,
Going to answer ? abit back-to-front but it seems to be the way the scheme is too!!!
Short answer is No! the bldg regs 'Part-P' has only 2 options
A] you do the work yourself after telling them what you intend to do, in the same way as you would if you were adding an extra room, converting a loft etc. they would then send along somebody to check cable routes, joist drilling ect at wiring stage & again to check second fix connections ie earth sleeving not shared by 2 wires ect. they do minimal tests if any and don't issue certs. as it is not permitted for anyone to certify anyone elses installation work.
B]The whole installation being done is carried out by a member of one of the 5 self certification scheme members who can notify his scheme operator at the end of the job, issue his comp. certs, & his organisation will notify L.A. Bldg control, at nominal cost.
As you say it can be quite costly to gain membership of any of these 5 'Clubs', requiring up to date 16th [soon 17th] regs. plus c&G 2391 insp/test plus possesion of at least On-site-guide, Guidance Notes GN1,3 & 8 full set of calibrated instruments. All the above of course every practicing leckie should have and be using daily but the memberships are additional to these if wanting to do domestic work eg, my ECA membership for commercial/ industrial work is around £850 + tax, in addition I belong to NAPIT Electrical for domestic installions & other testing contracts @ around £380/Yr? both schemes give me 'Trust Mark' status also and, finally, if you are doing almost any work for other peoples homes then it is highly likely you are working illegally,
'head down' regards SPARX

eddie
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by eddie » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:04 pm

Sparks

am I right in thinking that I could do the wiring myself and get the building instector out after the 1st fix to check it,

then out again after the 2nd fix to check it,

then get a local electrian to inspect and test.

I gather I would need to do this module 1 of the 'Certification for Domestic electrical Installers part p' for me to do the wiring yes or no?

Cheers

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:34 pm

Hi again EDDIE,
ANYbody can do the work as long as they pay the bldg control insp. fees first. Then LABC will inspect 1st & 2nd fix, no need for any other cert. to comply with Part-p.; however an electrical completion cert which ANY leckie can issue is usually required for insurence/house sale purposes!
So in summery: If you pay the Governments fees [Taxes!] to bldg control & do a good enough job you don't need any qualifications - Wonderfully safe system......
In fact the only time it is worth doing all the 'Part-P' qualifying thing is if you do a lot of smallish controlled works when it would be cheaper to be able to 'self-cert.' for abt. £2.50/job against £200ish/job via LABC!
Answer to your final ? NO! You can pay the fee, issue your own certs. it just means each job will be plus LABC fees,
only you can work out if it's worth it, regards,
SPARX

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:24 pm

BLAKEY

Caps Lock!! Please don't shout!

Ta.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:03 pm