Queries on the Shelving Project
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gregsm1th
Labourer
Labourer

Queries on the Shelving Project

by gregsm1th » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:59 pm

Hi
I hope this hasn't been answered elsewhere in the forums - i have looked and don't think there is an answer so far! Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.
With reference to the shelving project:
- my alcove is approx 1.6m across and say 220mm deep - is the method suggested, along with 1" depth of wood, sufficient to support the reasonable weight of books that could be put on the shelf? If not, what additional support (preferably hidden) can I use? or should i use a thicker shelf?
- the back wall is concrete however one of the sides is plasterboard and the other one wood (part of boxing around pipes or similar). Is most of the load borne by the back wall fixings or should i consider additional support at the ends (perhaps a frame of some sort) to ensure strength?
The books in question aren't huge tomes, but a mix of 'normal' sized books.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:25 pm

The method shown is fine Greg, just make sure the fixings are in well to all walls. 2 x 1 inch batten as shown in the project is good but for a 1.6m span we would put 2 struts in the centre as opposed to the one we used. Use glue (Gripfil preferably, see our project on adhesives used at home) on the back of the battens to help with the fixing.

gregsm1th
Labourer
Labourer

by gregsm1th » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:22 pm

Great, many thanks for your help.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:59 am