Question on Loft/Ceiling Extractor Fan for Damp
Information and advice on lofts and loft conversions. Find solutions and post your questions here...

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
NightShadow1991
Apprentice
Apprentice

Question on Loft/Ceiling Extractor Fan for Damp

Post by NightShadow1991 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:25 pm

Hi All,

New to this forum, just wanted to ask some advice on a ceiling extractor fan into the loft at the top of the stairs.

Private rented property. This was installed some time ago, maybe a year, or just over. Long story short, the house is a right hole and the estate are a nightmare to deal with.

The question I have though is as follows: Are these loft extractor fans safe to use if the loft insulation is exposed and not boarded properly? I only ask, as I'm a welder and have no knowledge on this stuff, but surely if it's circulating the naff, damp rancid air up in the loft - which also has a rubbish leaking roof - would it not be bad bringing that into the house? There is always a cold draft coming from there as it's constantly running, I can't see how it would stop micro particles of insulation and damp getting through, unless it had a decent filter in it, which I;d assume if it did would need replacing regularly?

Any, not my forte, so any help or advice greatly appreciated. Long history with the landlords, I am still fighting them to sort out some black mould in my bedroom, which has been going on for 3 years no. Two asthmatic individuals in the house, everyone coughs and splutters, history of mould and damp, none of which is helping any of us. Hence why I ask if it's safe.

Thanks all

James

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Question on Loft/Ceiling Extractor Fan for Damp

Post by stoneyboy » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:08 pm

Hi nightshadow1991
The extractor should be sucking air out of the house and from your description - discharging into the loft. The rights and wrongs of this are another matter but if the fan is running continuously air should not be feeding back into the house.
Regards S

NightShadow1991
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by NightShadow1991 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:23 pm

Hi there, thanks for the message.

As far as I know if blows air from the loft into the house to help circulate. Seems to defeat the purpose of keeping the house warm in my eyes, blowing cold air backing into the house. I have terrible black mould in my bedroom, caused by condensation, so I guess them putting this extractor unit in, as well as one in the bathroom is supposed to remedy it. Just seems illogical to me, but I'm a welder and this isn't my forte.

Have you ever heard of them blowing loft air into the house? I would have thought whatever the process, it should be plumbed to the outside somewhere.

Thanks

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:42 pm

Hi nightshadow1991
If it is extracting air directly from the loft it’s been installed wrongly and there is the risk of insulation particles being injected into your house especially on windy days. Are you sure it’s not a whole house system with interlinking extract and input ducting in the loft?
Regarding mould in your bedroom do you open the windows every morning for 30min or so to clear accumulated damp air?
Regards S

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:39 pm