radiator saga continuing
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
handyman2
Apprentice
Apprentice

radiator saga continuing

by handyman2 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:43 am

Hi all still having problems with downstairs radiators this is what I have done so far,fitted new pump a cleaner still in system(will drain out next week)if I turn off upstairs radiators all downstairs rads work fine tried balancing,at present upstairs are hardly turned only 2 downstairs just aired .When I drained down system only the upstairs rads emptied (i am using the only drain cock I can this situated in lounge at side of fireplace where Baxi Bermuda is installed I had to remove a radiator in downstairs cloakroom and drain downnstairs rads via that rad valve any help would be greatfully appreciated.

terrydp
Labourer
Labourer

by terrydp » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:36 pm

I had the same problem (no downstairs rads) last year. Rebalanced system (turned lock shield values nearly off upstairs. This seemed to cure the problem in 06. However just switched on for winter 07 and again no down stairs rads. Have drained system down but header tank did not drain so assumed a blockage. Cleared this by taking a hose into loft and sticking down the header tank outlet (with second hose on drain point downstairs). You can also try back flushing i.e. filling from the mains via a hose pipe on the drain point, but be careful that the header tank does not over flow! However in my case now boiler only fired twice and will not restart. I'm thinking that the pump is not working and causing the boiler to overheat and cut out (overheat cut out switch has not tripped). My next step will be to change the pump - any other ideas?

handyman2
Apprentice
Apprentice

by handyman2 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:12 am

thanks for that terrydp will try this weekend one other query i hope someone can help me with when all the valve heads are the same how do i tell which is wheelhead and which is lockshield

terrydp
Labourer
Labourer

by terrydp » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:02 am

The valve caps are normally different. One should clip on to the actual bit that sticks out of the valve and hence the valve will turn as the cap is turned. The other should just spin when it's turned and will not actually operate the valve - this is the lockshield one and is used for balancing.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1