Rattling Roof Slates
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Vito
Labourer
Labourer

Rattling Roof Slates

Post by Vito » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:22 pm

Hi

I live in a fairly old house in an exposed area. In the wind some slates have started to rattle. I can see that the old plaster material used to bond the slates on the inside of the roof has started to crumble and fall off.

I was wondering if I could rebond the slates using normal plaster bonding ? Getting the rest of the old stuff off should be easy as its very weak. There is no sign of any water ingress anywhere. Would this work or is there a better type of plaster I should use ?

Any comments would be appreciated.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:00 pm

Vito,
You could have foam sprayed on the underside of the tiles to stabilise them.
end

Vito
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Vito » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:55 pm

Thks Stoneyboy

Have thought about spay foam and have had quotes. Its a very expensive way of solving the problem. The plaster up there lasted 70 years so why not put some more up. Simple and cheap. But what plaster ?

Vito

youasked
Tradesman
Tradesman

SPRAY FOAM????

Post by youasked » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:21 am

Small amounts of aerosol foam will be OK in blobs, but it can expand enough to lift the slate and cause wind damage or damp. I would use PINKGRIP or Gripfill , similar adhesive. Wipe the area to be stuck with dry cloth to remove dust and most dirt and use 15-20 mm blobs. (We are talking inside???). There is a new coating for the exterior of slate roofs, that allows movement, breathability and waterproofs and sticks, em down. I will try and fid the article I read if interested.

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Local help at hand!

Post by TheDoctor4 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:44 pm

Find trusted, insured and vetted tradesman local to your area. Visit the DIY Doctor Find a Tradesman page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:03 am