Re-Pointing sand stone wall with tight joints
Brickwork, drystone walling, render are a few subjects covered here. Click here to post questions and get answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dannyonthefarm
Labourer
Labourer

Re-Pointing sand stone wall with tight joints

by dannyonthefarm » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:50 am

Hi I need to re-point the frount of my house.

It is built of sand stone blocks, the problem I have is that some of the joints are very tight almost stone on stone.

I was thinking of making the joints a bit wider with a grinder but I am unsure if this is the right thing to do?

Also in a couple of places the joints are very deep is it ok to just fill these in one go as I do the pointing or should I fill these deep bits first and leave space for pointing when it has dryed?

Cheers

Danny

brickpoint
Labourer
Labourer

Repointing mortar

by brickpoint » Sun May 16, 2010 10:12 am

The traditional way to point this type of brickwork is to rake out the joints to a depth of at least 25mm (1 inch), you can use a small cold chisel for this or an angle grinder but the mess caused with an angle grinder has to be consisered as someone will have to clean up. The best mix for the pointing is a 6:1:1 mortar (6 sand : 1 hydrated lime : 1 portland cement) if you want it the normal grey colour but if you want to have coloured pointing use a 4:1 (4 sand :1 portland cement) plus the colour. All the mortar colours act as a plasticiser so there is no need for the lime or fairy liquid. Fairy liquid was banned in the 1960s as a plasticiser.

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

by TheDoctor4 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:28 pm

Find trusted, insured and vetted tradesman local to your area. Visit the DIY Doctor Find a Tradesman page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:22 pm