Re-Wire?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
clairey
Labourer
Labourer

Re-Wire?

by clairey » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:49 pm

I am about to purchase a 1955’s detached house. Have had the survey done and it recommends that an electrical check is carried out as it seems one has not been done in 10 years. The surveyor said the electric box/installation appears to be coated in plastic. Do you think a full re-wire will be required?

Jeffmo
Ganger
Ganger

re wire

by Jeffmo » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:58 pm

as far as i am aware there can only be a recommendation to rewire , unless you get an installation checked by a qualified electrician in which case they should do a full test of the wiring systems in your house ,and they are obliged to and legally bound to note the requirements of the wiring , I would suggest that the wiring would probably need replacing , however depending on type of wiring ie rubber or pvc and the fuseways and switchgear will make the electricians decision very easy . If you are concerned at all get an electrical survey done and get the price taken off the house its worth a barter the average 3 bed semi rewire would probably cost you about £2,500 to £3,500 pounds , so try and sell this to the vendor . Regards and good luck Jeff

clairey
Labourer
Labourer

by clairey » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:25 pm

Thanks Jeff. Great advice, have contacted an electrican who is going to do a check next week. we actually got them down £4k on the asking price, just in case it needed a re-wire - so hopefully that should cover it.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:21 pm