Recessed Halogen Downlights in 6mm ply Ceiling?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
nico77
Labourer
Labourer

Recessed Halogen Downlights in 6mm ply Ceiling?

by nico77 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:37 am

I want to install three recessed halogen downlights in a 6mm ply ceiling but understand there are safety implications when installing theses products in wood-based areas.

All the models I have looked at have the flammable surface warning mark-even 50W fire rated models ('F' in a crossed-out triangle) and cannot be installed in wood. To further complicate matters I want to paper over the ply and around the new lights. So, my question is, can you get recessed halogen downlights for a paper covered 6mm ply ceiling without burning the village down.

I have searched on the internet in vain to find some solid advice and hope someone out there can help.

Cheers

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:19 pm

Hi nico77, the problem with these types of lights is not only do they give a lot of reflected heat they also give off a lot of back heat towards the ceiling, so on a safety aspect i'd be thinking of using an alternative light fitting that does not give direct heat to the plywood,
best of luck
KB

ericmark

by ericmark » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:53 am

If you use GU10 type you can get both cold cathode and LED bulbs to fit them but be careful as in some the bulbs end up sticking out of the fitting of course if you replaced the cold cathode for std bulbs later then there would still be a problem ratted between 1 and 11 watt instead of 10 to 50 watt. Not quite as bright but not bad more spread than with std but as much light.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:55 pm