Red Brick and First home With Possible damp?
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
slevans689
Labourer
Labourer

Red Brick and First home With Possible damp?

by slevans689 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:28 pm

Hi,
3 bed semi - red brick (1930's)
I am buying my first home (offer accepted, searches underway and solicitors instructed) but my Homebuyer survey has come back to say my Gable end wall needs some serious TLC - some spalling/cracked bricks, needs re-pointing and had high damp meter readings which they believe is caused from rising damp.

photo attached - can anyone help? is it rising damp?

the guttering above has a hole in it too so believe it has had rain water running down side of house too so unsure if penetrating or rising?
Also the survey wasn't 100% clear that it was definitely or not so looking for advice.

I'm happy to look at DPC treatments, replacing spalling bricks and re-point and fix guttering - what I don't know is if this is enough and if there's any advice?

I would also want to look at damp proofing/weather proofing bricks after works completed too.

thanks
Attachments
Gable end.JPG

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Red Brick and First home With Possible damp?

by welsh brickie » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:43 pm

water ingress from unpointed brickwork, looks like the cause to all the damp, if you repair this then all the damp should disappear in time,

slevans689
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Red Brick and First home With Possible damp?

by slevans689 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:40 am

welsh brickie wrote:water ingress from unpointed brickwork, looks like the cause to all the damp, if you repair this then all the damp should disappear in time,

Thanks a lot! :)

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:04 am