Regs Approval Still After Previous Owner Removed Half of Chimney Stack?
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tryer
Labourer
Labourer

Regs Approval Still After Previous Owner Removed Half of Chimney Stack?

Post by tryer » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:34 pm

Hi All,

I live in a victorian terraced house that had the chimney breast removed about 40 years ago (by the previous owner) on the ground floor, leaving the remaining stack.

The chimney backs onto next doors chimney which i believe is fully intact, but unused.

I am refitting the kitchen including replastering the walls and replacing the ceiling.

When we pulled down the old ceiling we found there was nothing supporting the chimney breast.

My builder said he can put in a concrete lintel (possibly 2) which would sit on the existing joists and support the remaining stack. The joists are about 6 inches deep.

Am I still required to comply with building regs - (put in proper support) - even though it wasnt me that actually removed the chimney breast in the first place?

Thanks

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Regs Approval Still After Previous Owner Removed Half of Chimney Stack?

Post by welsh brickie » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:15 pm

your builder is Wrong!! you cannot support the chimney stack this way its dangerous, you need to comply with building regs, You will need to contact him and he will advise your best cause of action

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1