Reinforcing an Anderson Shelter / Bunker Roof
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
MrAnderson
Labourer
Labourer

Reinforcing an Anderson Shelter / Bunker Roof

by MrAnderson » Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:59 pm

Hi,

I have recently excavated a Anderson shelter in my garden and now want to make it useable as a sauna / man cave etc.

The shelter is 1.5m down, 10ft long by 5 ft wide. It has a rusted corrugated roof where some bits have corroded entirely to reveal the concrete top layer (see pics). It seems pretty solid and no evidence of cracks on the top of it as far as I can see.

Firstly, is it wise to reinforce this or is this roof likely to outlast me anyway?

If it is wise to reinforce just to be on the safe side, how would I do this? I've spoken to a construction contact and they said short of digging the whole thing up and starting again its never going to abide by building regs. Its a historic artefact and so I am clearly not going to dig it up and so need a alternative solution that means I can be relatively confident it wont fall on my head. All ideas welcome - much appreciated.
Attachments
Compress6.JPG
Compress3.JPG

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Reinforcing an Anderson Shelter / Bunker Roof

by stoneyboy » Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:57 pm

Hi mranderson,
You do not give details of the extent of the corrosion but it is unlikely that the shelter will collapse. Building regs do not apply unless you are going to live in it.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:33 pm