DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Remodeling Advice - Surveyor, Architect, Interior Designer, or Builder?

Postby deejbk » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:30 pm

My wife and I are looking to carry out some works on the downstairs of our house. We plan to put in a downstairs washroom, downstairs utility room, add an extra partition between lounge and dining area, new furniture, carpet and maybe remove a chimney breast if a good investment. To fund this we are planning to borrow against the house.

Prior to beginning the works I feel I want to speak with some professional to decide roughly how much to borrow, where the partition walls should go, what layout and room sizes should be in order to optimise our use of the house and give best value for when we come to sell, and be best return on investment. But I’m not sure whether we should speak with a surveyor, an architect, an interior designer, design consultant or go straight to a builder?

Figure for project I had in mind is £8000, but would be prepared to spend more there was much greater value to be gained

Which professional should we speak to in the first instance, and what should we expect to pay for their advice?
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:23 pm

Postby blakeriley » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:41 am

I think an interior designer will be able to give you an estimate but going straight to the builder for the estimate would be a better idea.
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:52 am

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics