remote thermostat?
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
davelee212
Labourer
Labourer

remote thermostat?

by davelee212 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:01 pm

I've a Potterton Powermax system at home. There's an analogue thermostat on the wall in the downstairs hallway. Being that I spend very little time hanging about in the hallway, the radiator is turned down low so the thermostat isn't really getting a true reading of the temperature of the house.

The thermostat is wired in where it is so I don't want to go about changing that. What I'd like to do, if possible, is swap the current thermostat for something that has a remote wireless element to it that I can put in the living room.

Is that possible? If so, can anyone point me in the right direction for what I'm after.

thanks in advance!

Dave

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:15 pm

Unfortunately, it is not as simple as that. There may only be (apart from earth) only two wires to the stat in your hall. A switched live (from the boiler time clock) and the +ve return feed to the boiler. A programmable thermostat requires a permanent live which would then cause the timeclock to be bypassed. The stat also needs a neutral which may not be available.

There are many makes of wireless stat that will do what you want, but it needs to be fed directly from the boiler with a permanent live and neutral, a switched live and boiler feed,

davelee212
Labourer
Labourer

by davelee212 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:58 am

hi plumbbob, thanks for your reply. I'll have a look at how the existing thermostat is connected later on today.

When you say "programmable thermostat" do you mean one with a timer built in? If so, I'm quite happy to leave the control panel on the front of the boiler to do the timing and have the thermostat doing the switch on/switch-off, etc.

Thanks

Dave

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:19 pm

I mean by programmable, many of the digital thermostats allow setting of different temperatures at different times of the day. It basically replaces the timer completely allowing the heating to remain switched on for 24 hr/day and controlled entirely by the thermostat.

Just a thought, if you could find a wireless thermostat with a battery powered receiver, it would save the extra wires and you could control the boiler from the existing thermostat position. Trouble is, I cannot recall ever seeing one.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:57 pm