Removal of door stops to re-hang door
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Curlyclair
Labourer
Labourer

Removal of door stops to re-hang door

by Curlyclair » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:41 pm

I want to rehang the door between my kitchen and utility room so it opens into the utility room instead of the kitched. I removed the door and tried to take off the door stops but they seem to be part of the much bigger piece of wood that forms the frame. Not like the others in the house where they're just strips of shaped wood nailed to the frame.

Would it be feasible to cut off the door stops and then attach new door stops around the frame or is it simpler to just rip the whole frame out and create a new one?

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Removal of door stops to re-hang door

by proptech » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:44 pm

Hi,
I suspect that your utility room is an extension, and that you have an external rebated door frame. An external frame will not be the same dimensions as an interior door lining, so if you decide to replace there's going to be some alterations required. also it's likely that there is a sill attached to the frame, possibly hidden by the floor.
Attempting to cut the frame is possible, but would depend on your carpentry skills. personally, I would be thinking in terms of making a large number of saw cuts across the stop, and removing the waste with a very sharp chisel, and finishing with a plane. This would be time consuming, and great care needed to obtain the accuracy required.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:23 pm