Remove this topic
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sueg
Labourer
Labourer

Remove this topic

by sueg » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:43 pm

If I use a chemical stripper to remove all the paint from my bathroom walls, then do I have to wash the bare plaster. If so what do I use and how long do I have to wait before using a primer and then painting?
Last edited by sueg on Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pablo2
Tradesman
Tradesman

by pablo2 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:16 pm

hello Sueg

Why would you want to strip the paint from the walls ?

Chemical strippers are very strong and they are not selective , some of these strippers will remove 20 layers of paint overnight , the problem is they don't just stop when they reach the plaster or wood ! After you have stripped the paint you must neutalise the surface this involves a considerable ammount of washing and rinsing then several areas should be tested with a Ph test kit .

I would avoid this if at all possible.

Pablo

sueg
Labourer
Labourer

by sueg » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:04 pm

Hi Pablo, thanks for the advise, but
the liquid stripper I have got is from a very reputable DIY company.
I need to strip the paint because when it was last painted the walls were
not properly prepared. This has meant that all the paint is peeling or
flaking in some parts down to the plaster. It is not possible to scrape or
sand it off. Also round the window frame the paint is peeling and going black!
The liquid stripper says it is safe and just to wash the area afterwards, but that is for wood and metal. It is for use on walls but I'm not sure if I need to use sugar soap to wash the walls.
Also elsewhere where new plaster has been used does this need washing or what before I paint it.

pablo2
Tradesman
Tradesman

by pablo2 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:40 pm

Hi Sueg

Again I would advise against this. Plaster is very absorbant and will draw this chemical in , unless you have some means of testing the plaster to satisfy yourself that all traces have been removed , when you apply the emulsion this will draw the chemical back out.

I would treat the mould with an anifungicidal wash then scrape of as much loose paint as you can then coat the walls with a contract emulsion ( no vynil ) then bring forward any depressions with some easy fill and spot over , keep doing this until you are happy with the surface then apply two coats of your finish.

Pablo

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:10 am