Removing a light switch extension (with pics!)
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
themoffster
Apprentice
Apprentice

Removing a light switch extension (with pics!)

by themoffster » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:03 pm

I have a door in my house that had the handedness changed by the previous owner.
I am in the process of changing it back, but they had to move the position of the lightswitch when doing so.
They did this by adding a connector and running a cord around the frame of the door into the new lightswitch (luckily for me they just put a blank cover over the old position).

I believe this is a simple job to do, but wanted to check. My concern is what looks like two live wires feeding into the thick white cable which has a black and red (therefore the neutral is actually live?) There are no problems with the current workings of the lightswitches.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0wc9ldfzi8h228e/photo%201.JPG
https://www.dropbox.com/s/39ewt7bp1xutew0/photo.JPG
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dohsg5xg1l2ian6/photo%202.JPG

Here are three pictures of various angles of the old lightswitch space (which I am looking to reinstate). The thick white cable is the cable which the previous owner added that feeds round to the lightswitch they added (that I am now looking to remove).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/imrrxngqyerywgy/photo%203.JPG

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Removing a light switch extension (with pics!)

by proptech » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:12 am

Hi themoffster
Connect the switch to the two reds, it doesn't matter which way round, But, from your photo it looks like the switch has a metal face plate, if so, it must be earthed, or fit a plastic one.

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

by collectors » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:36 am

Hi, [b]1st[/b] switch off all electric & then remove connector block completely. Either remove cable that gos to other switch or seal the ends up.
You now have 2 blacks in a crimp connector "Leave as is".
Do the same with the 2 green & yellow earths, unless you are fitting a metal switch, then you would need to connect the earths to the plates earth screw terminal.
You will now have 2 reds left. Put one into to terminal "L1" & the other into the terminal "COM".
You may have a terminal "L2"? just lave this empty.
Screw switch back & then switch back on & try.

Chris.

themoffster
Apprentice
Apprentice

by themoffster » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:37 am

proptech wrote:Hi themoffster
Connect the switch to the two reds, it doesn't matter which way round, But, from your photo it looks like the switch has a metal face plate, if so, it must be earthed, or fit a plastic one.

Thanks, that's pretty much what i was going to do. In terms of the earth - in the first set of pictures it is not connected to anything - should I just open that up and connect it to the switch (you are correct that it is going to be a metal switch).

thanks for the reply

DIYorNot
Tradesman
Tradesman

by DIYorNot » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:43 pm

The black wire with red sleeving connected to the current switch probably indicates switched-live.

You need to remove the screw terminal block from the existing switch backbox and sleeve the appropriate red wire that is switched-live, then connect your new switch.

As proptech rightly pointed out, if the new switch has a metal faceplate, it does need to be earthed.
Last edited by DIYorNot on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

themoffster
Apprentice
Apprentice

by themoffster » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:01 pm

So just open the sealed earth and attach the new switch to that or is it more complex?

Why are replies always vetted? It's a real pain posting a reply and it doesn't appear for ages

DIYorNot
Tradesman
Tradesman

by DIYorNot » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:23 pm

themoffster wrote:Thanks, that's pretty much what i was going to do. In terms of the earth - in the first set of pictures it is not connected to anything - should I just open that up and connect it to the switch (you are correct that it is going to be a metal switch).

thanks for the reply

Yes, just remove the protecting cover from the earth wire and connect it to the earth terminal on the rear of the switch faceplate. The cover should just unscrew off.

themoffster
Apprentice
Apprentice

by themoffster » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:10 pm

Thanks everyone

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:06 am