Post your questions and find answers on all garden related topics and areas

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Milly67
Labourer
Labourer

Removing pea gravel so as to install artificial lawn

by Milly67 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:12 pm

Hi

Im new to this site and being female, I am not as worldly wise when it comes to what should or should not be done when having artificial put down.

So, I had two quotes....so far..... to install artificial grass. However, both quotes advised different advice when it comes to the pea gravel that has been left in the back garden.

One guy advised it all needed to come up( he would do it as part of the job) before he carried out the work....plus...he stated there would be a join in the lawn of two pieces of lawn.

The other guy stated that the pea gravel did not need removing and they would use it for the installation.

Is there anyone on here that can advise please? I am on my own and do not want to pay for something that does is not needed. Limited budget etc etc. Thankyou so much in advance :)

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Removing pea gravel so as to install artificial lawn

by stoneyboy » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:57 pm

Hi milly67
If your pea shingle is laid direct on a hard surface eg concrete or tarmac the artificial turf could be laid direct on it with a suitable underlay - this assumes that there is a fall over the area.
If the shingle is on a loose material eg mud then about 3-5cm of sharp sand should be laid before the underlay. If you are ok with an increase in land levels then the shingle does not need to be removed.
Regards S

Milly67
Labourer
Labourer

by Milly67 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:08 am

Hi there

Thankyou soooo much for your reply!

I bought and moved into my new house last month in Hinckley...and from what I can see, the gravel is laid on top of soil.

So , from what you say, its doesn't need removing.

Think one of the guys who was quoting me saw a female on her own....and thought he could make a bit more money out of something that doesn't need doing.

Why do some guys do that I wonder?

Thankyou again for your advice!

Mandy (Milly is my stage name ha ha) :)

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:35 pm

Hi milly67
If the land is flat it will have to be built up to form a slight dome and it will need about 5cm of compacted sharp sand before underlay and artificial turf is laid.
The astroturf generally comes in 2,4 and 5m widths so if either dimension is bigger than this a join will be needed. Make sure the join goes on an area of the least wear.
Regards S

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:09 am