Removing Shade From Laura Ashley Pendant Light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mapidd
Labourer
Labourer

Removing Shade From Laura Ashley Pendant Light

by mapidd » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:10 am

Hello everyone,

New user here, and not really an electrical problem, but if anyone has experience of this kind of thing, any guidance offered would be gratefully received.

In short, I need to remove a shade from a light pendant light fitting.

Slightly longer version, I have a replacement shade after the previous one was broken with a rolling pin (moral of the story, don't set these things too low).

As I hope you'll be able to see, the flex passes into a metal sleeve, with a plastic cap that has a plastic screw which I assume holds the flex in place. This is on top of a metal cap covering the top of the shade. On the underside of this cap is a nut, holding the assembly so far together.

Further down is a second metal plate, holding the shade from beneath.
Under this is a second nut to hold it in place, pressed against the shade. Both plates so far have small ventilation holes in them.
Directly underneath the second nut is the light socket itself, which has a small flathead screw in the side.

I know I somehow need to loosen the nuts themselves, but do I need to release the flex from the grip of the plastic sleeve at the top? Does the screw on the side of the socket need to be loosened? At the moment, everything is in place super-secure, as you would hope. Has anyone done anything similar, or know what I need to do?

Any suggestions, ideally clear ideas, would be immensely appreciated!

Mark
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 10.09.04.png

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Removing Shade From Laura Ashley Pendant Light

by Mr White » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:26 pm

Although what you have is an electric light fitting and this is an electrical help forum, the "problem" is that there are so many electrical items available it is sadly not possible to know how every item is assembled or disassembled.

Your picture only shows the top of the light fitting, so I can only suggest you use "trial and error" and have someone with you to support the glass.

You could try asking at the place from where you got the replacement glass.

mapidd
Labourer
Labourer

by mapidd » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:53 am

Yes, thanks, I think that's a given.

I was hoping is that someone might have experience of something similar. Asking the place where I got the replacement glass is not much help - it was a private ebay listing. I have tried to spare people the details of the story.

Essentially, I am stuck with how the flex enters what I have called the socket. I can probably work out how to get someone to hold the glass by myself. Does anyone have experience removing a 'socket' like this from the flex?

Thank you for any help anyone can give.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:20 pm

The item in question is a pendant lamp holder.

A clearer picture from slightly further back would be helpful.

Does the replacement glass have a thread or lip? (You have the fitting, anyone reading this does not, which is why I have to ask)

Also, does the flat bar above the lamp holder move and does it touch the glass?

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:05 pm

I have found you often need to remove from sealing rose so that the cable and turn inside the pipe, what I did was fit a slide in ceiling rose, so I can set everything at ground level and once all done simply plug it in.

Problem is Laura Ashley did have some unique fittings, I know my brother-in-law was lucky enough to get one before they closed in Newtown. It had come from a supplier as a sample, but not taken up on, then sold off when they closed, so you can never be sure how they are wired.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:10 am