Removing Surface-Mounted Socket from Skirting
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
PieOfSauron
Labourer
Labourer

Removing Surface-Mounted Socket from Skirting

Post by PieOfSauron » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:55 pm

Hi,

This is my first post and, as it relates to electrical wiring, I hope it's not my last.

I would like to remove a 2-gang surface mounted socket box that protrudes from the skirting in a bedroom, in order to place a wardrobe against the wall. I know I need to be isolating the circuit, fitting terminal blocks to the cores and covering with a blanking plate, but I know there'll be more to it than this.

I have this Saturday set-aside to sort out the socket and then build the wardrobe and get it in place. I have not yet removed the socket box to inspect behind it. I will have to do this on the Saturday morning. I live close to a Wickes so can pop out and get anything else I need.

So my questions are:

1. How do I choose which terminal blocks to use? I can see Screwfix has from 3A to 60A.
2. Does each core fit into a separate terminal block?
3. I'm assuming that there is no back box, so how can I secure the terminated cores and attach a blanking plate? (I need to remove the box).
4. Will I need an insulated screwdriver?
5. Is there anything else I have missed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Removing Surface-Mounted Socket from Skirting

Post by Mr White » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:50 pm

Unless you plan to lift the floor boards so you can remove the cables, it would be easier to leave the socket where it is and cut a hole in the wardrobe, that way you can also use it to plug in a light.

If you really want to you can remove the socket, but it will cause a lot of problems, as you can't leave the cables just "sitting there" (Also you can not fit a blanking plate because as so you rightly said, there is nothing to fix it to) so that means lifting the floor boards to remove the cables, or installing a flush back box (That way you can then add a blanking plate)
If you do want to lift the floorboards don't use connector block use "wago" connectors as they are "fit and forget"

PieOfSauron
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Removing Surface-Mounted Socket from Skirting

Post by PieOfSauron » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:46 pm

Thanks for the info. I don't think fitting a back box into the skirting is going to be an option. Sounds like cutting a hole in the wardrobe is probably the best solution for this problem. I'll dig out the assembly instructions and see if this is going to be possible.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:14 pm