Post your questions and find answers on all garden related topics and areas

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Chet
Labourer
Labourer

Rendering a garden wall

by Chet » Thu May 24, 2007 9:48 am

Hello

firstly i dont if i have opened this in the right section but i hope i have :?

I recentley had some work done in mt garden and i need help. We used to have a steep slanted garden which came down to meet a small pation area. We had the slope taken back and had a wall built to. The soil from the slope was placed behid the wall to level the land. There where soak away tube put in behind the wall to help remove the excess water( they were already there any way). The patio was also increased at the same time.

The wall that built was then rendered however since then the render has broken away from the wall.

My question is this What materials should i be using and in what mixture to render the wall. Also is there anything i can use to bond the render to the wall so this does not happen again.

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks

Chet

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Thu May 24, 2007 9:38 pm

A good render mix is 4 sharp sand, 1 soft sand and 1 cement Chet but before rendering it might be a good idea to get a tub of SBR from your local builders merchants and tip it in a bucket, then mix in cement until you have a cemment slurry the consistancy of runny custard. Paint this on the wall, dont leave any gaps and if there are any holes in the wall, fill them with sharp sand and cement mixed at 3 to 1. When the wall is dry, render. The SBR is a latex solution and when mixed with cement gives a waterproof skin. This should protect the render from coming off again. It makes it a little harder to render as its not a porous surface, but worth it. SBR can be bought from any builders merchants.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:09 am