Rendering advice needed for above and below
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
adysaes
Labourer
Labourer

Rendering advice needed for above and below

Post by adysaes » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:44 am

Hi all - I'm desperately in need of some advice.

I've just had the ground floor of our victorian property lime rendered at the back (we've done a ground floor remodel so there were lots of bricked up openings/new openings etc that needed tidying up), so the render stops at the first floor. The guy who did the job advised that, because it stops at the first floor, I might need to install flashing all along the very top edge of the render to stop water from getting in behind the render and frost damage occurring. On two of the three walls in question there are roof eaves and guttering at the top of the first floor that go over the render however on our very back wall there's no eaves or guttering whatsoever and the roof stops flush with the brick wall below it (unusual, I know). This would mean that in theory rain could drop down directly on the render.

So... long story short... where the render is only going over the ground floor and not the first floor (and where there aren't eaves covering one of the three walls) is it advisable to place some sort of flashing at the top of it? And would flashband be suitable or would it need to be lead?

Secondly the renderer mentioned that, on the bottom two courses of brick at ground floor that sit below the render, we might want to paint bitumen below the render to keep moisture from seeping through. However I've also seen on forums that this is a bad idea (could perhaps stop moisture also from escaping and cause damp to build up in side) - what are the thoughts on this?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Rendering advice needed for above and below

Post by stoneyboy » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:06 pm

Hi adysaes
Yes it's a good idea to fit a flashing, this needs to be lead lapped into a brick course above the top of your rendering.
I would not recommend painting bitumen on a solid Victorian wall for the very reason you have given
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:25 am