Renovating a granwood floor
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
richard_white_bsc
Labourer
Labourer

Renovating a granwood floor

by richard_white_bsc » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:25 am

My kitchen and hall has granwood tiles that are in a poor condition - they are worn and discoloured. I would like to sand and seal them but have been unable to find much DIY advice since granwood floors appear uncommon in domestic residences. I know I can hire floor sanders (I sanded the wooden floor in our lounge) but I'm not sure what abrasive to use - granwood is very hard. I would also like advice on what to use to seal the surface after sanding and what to use for subsequent cleaning and polishing, bearing in mind the locations. Are there any granwood experts out there who could help?

Tall Tone
Ganger
Ganger

by Tall Tone » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:41 pm

Be very careful here.

Granwood is a mixture of concrete and wood and as such, when you sand it you get very fine concrete dust floating in the atmosphere which is a bit like a thick fog, but is also very bad for your lungs.

If you decide to proceed any further you need a very good mask/respirator and a way of sealing off the room so you minimise clean down afterwards.

Due to the waxy content of the floor the only lacquer suitable is Granguard, which if memory serves is a very smelly solvent based product.

Personally I would suggest this is one for an expert with the right equipment.
Regards
TT

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:37 am