Repainting painted bricks in enclosed formerly external porch
DIY hints, tips and solutions to the removal and repair of marked and stained areas

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
keenane
Labourer
Labourer

Repainting painted bricks in enclosed formerly external porch

by keenane » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:30 pm

Hi,

We have a ~1900 built house which had an external porch area- quarry tiles and brick which has latterly been turned into an inside porch with a uPVC door.
The bricks in the porch have been painted magnolia with what we suspect (but don't know) is a vinyl emulsion. The paint has bubbled ins some places presumably due to damp/ salts/ efflorescence.

The bricks have signs of a chemical damp proof course being injected too.

I want to repaint the bricks white but am keen to do this in a way which is breathable and lets any further moisture escape rather than trapping it in the wall where it might pass into the plastered hallway.

I have been trying to research different paints which are breathable but some designed for painting brick need to bond with the brick which isn't possible here as it's already painted.

Would be really grateful for thoughts on what to paint with and how to prepare area where paint has bubbled.

Thanks.
Attachments
thumbnail_20200909_124517.jpg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Repainting painted bricks in enclosed formerly external porch

by stoneyboy » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:37 pm

Hi keenane
Since the bricks are already painted you will never cure this problem. Suggest you scrape and wire brush the existing paint and then apply one of the breathable masonry paints. Expect to have to repeat this process every few years.
Regards S

keenane
Labourer
Labourer

by keenane » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:14 pm

stoneyboy wrote:Hi keenane
Since the bricks are already painted you will never cure this problem. Suggest you scrape and wire brush the existing paint and then apply one of the breathable masonry paints. Expect to have to repeat this process every few years.
Regards S

Thanks for the reply. Yes appreciate it won't last forever- luckily the photograph is the worst patch. In terms of a breathable masonry paint I need to look for a low SD I think? Farrow and Ball offer one. Any other thoughts?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:32 pm

Hi keenane
Not sure you need to go to the expense of f&b for what you are doing, sandtex claim theirs is breathable.
Regards S

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:59 am