Repair to moulded concrete window surround?
Brickwork, drystone walling, render are a few subjects covered here. Click here to post questions and get answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ZX81
Labourer
Labourer

Repair to moulded concrete window surround?

by ZX81 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:15 pm

I'm looking to repair a moulded concrete window surround on an ex council house. The window surround - i.e. the window sill, mullions and lintel - appears to have been moulded in one piece. The bottom corners, where the sill meets the mullions, are damaged - chunks of concrete have come away exposing rusted rebar. I guess that water has got to the rebar, causing the rust and the subsequent expansion has caused the concrete to fail.

So I'm wondering what's the best way to repair this? I'm guessing that I need to cut a section out around the corroded concrete and rebar, but how do I patch the missing concrete to get a good bond between old and new, and how can I prevent water finding its way through the join and to the rebar and causing the same problem in the future?

I'm told that a repair to the neighbour's window involved the in situ moulding of an outer jacket of concrete to cover the whole surround - ie somehow pouring concrete into a mould fixed to the window surround. I can't quite picture how that would be done - I guess the mould would be built and filled in sections, sill first, then mullions etc. And there would still be the problem of ensuring a good bond to old the concrete.

Any ideas?

Thanks

simeonronacrete
Labourer
Labourer

by simeonronacrete » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:22 pm

You can use a prebagged concrete repair mortars and primers for this. Cut out defective concrete t expose steel, prime steel with a Standard Primer and build up repair with Mortar.

The repair will be waterproof and treated steel will not rust again.

Regards

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:24 am