Repairing ceiling that has been damaged by a water leak
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
captainfurious
Labourer
Labourer

Repairing ceiling that has been damaged by a water leak

by captainfurious » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:07 am

Hi

We have a slanted ceiling below a flat roof that has been damaged by a rainwater leak. The leak has now been repaired however the ceiling is damaged.

I have submitted a couple of photos to show the damage. Essentially the leak has removed some plaster and revealed a kind of mesh. I assume the ceiling is plasterboard and has come away a little, I'd say no more than 1cm, but does seem secure and looks flush with the rest of the ceiling. The line crack from the ceiling to the wall is approx 70cm long but area where mesh can be seen is approx 40cm by 20cm max.

I am quite comfortable with basic DIY but after watching many youtube videos I'm not comfortable with cutting part of the ceiling out and replacing as I feel I might make it worse. Also with 2 kids running about to entertain I'm not sure I can find the time to do it properly.

I have also seen info on using mesh patches and plastering over. I don't want to do a simple fix that won't last but I'm wondering if this is a possible solution based on the info above? This does seem more time effective but there is little info on this and I also have seen reviews that a lot of patches don't stick well.

Any advise on how to fix would be greatly appreciated and if the patch idea is OK any advise on best place to get best patches would be great. Also, i have not done any plastering so pointing in right direction for simple stuff to use would be great!

Thank you

Rich
Attachments
2.jpg
1.jpg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Repairing ceiling that has been damaged by a water leak

by stoneyboy » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:08 pm

Hi captainfurious,
In an ideal world the whole corner should be cut out and replaced. Since the scrim is still in place, remove loose plaster and bevel back the edges of the holes. Fill the gaps with plaster to 1or2mm below surface level, once this is set use a filler like polyfilla or tetrion to fill the remaining depth - you may need 2/3 coats with sanding between to get a decent finish. Coat with oil based stain block before applying your ceiling finish paint.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:40 am