Repairing lath and plate ceiling cut out for spot downlights
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
worm
Apprentice
Apprentice

Repairing lath and plate ceiling cut out for spot downlights

by worm » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:44 pm

I have a lathe and plaster ceiling, in which I have had holes for down lights cut out 75mm.

The problem is that the holes are too big as my lights are 55mm cut out, not my mistake! I have tried to hardwall round the entrance, let it dry etc....

However when I try to insert the light the binding clips that are used to hold the downlight in place cause the ceiling to crack around the edge.

Is their away I can fix this easily...or is it a case of board over, re-skim etc etc

Do you think it would work with drywall as this sets harder?

I have thought about going in the loft a putting knoggins in betwwen the joists for which I could fix the downlights to?

Cheers

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:34 am

Best way I found is if you can get access above board through loft, is glue/stick a piece of board above hole so it's overlapping hole all sides. Let it set. Then fill hole either with board and patch up hole joints with skim and fill out or again skrim tape around edges of hole and make good with filler or plaster, then re-cut hole.
If access not available you can still cut board to fit through hole and glue down a bit fidgitty but do able.
Regards
kb

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:20 am