Repairing various panels on fitted kitchen
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
maschy
Labourer
Labourer

Repairing various panels on fitted kitchen

Post by maschy » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:14 pm

Hi

We are shortly to be moving in to a house we recently bought and on completion we found that the previous owner had not dealt with a small leak and the steam from the washing machine before they moved out.

The under sink cupboard base has now warped at the back and the hardboard panel that dresses the back of the unit has warped too.

We are not in a position to replace the whole suite so would prefer to repair/replace simply these parts - can someone advise if this is possible and what is our best approach?

Thanks very much
Maschy

Oddbod
Ganger
Ganger

Post by Oddbod » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:32 am

Hi, This probably isn't the reply you wanted, but unless it is really bad I'd be inclined to fix the drip and steam (if possible) and then just leave it to dry out. It'll never go back to the way it was, but from what you say it doesn't sound as if its normally visible, or too bad.

Chances are the cabinet will be some form of melamine covered chipboard, and that is un-repairable for all practical purposes. You could try and replace it, but I doubt you could do that in situ.

If there are no pipes etc running through it or obstruction in front of it the hardboard at the back might just about just about be replaceable by taking out the old panel and "flexing" a new one in.

Really you will have to replace the entire cabinet. Fortunately they are standard size and not too expensive. But you'll have to remove and refit the sink which is going to require some plumbing skills.

As I say, I think you'd have to have a pretty serious problem initially for any in-situ "cure" to make things better not worse.

Sorry, maybe someone else will have a better idea for you.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:54 pm