Replace Hot water tank and now no hot water or heating
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
hells1980
Labourer
Labourer

Replace Hot water tank and now no hot water or heating

by hells1980 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:30 pm

Hi All

I am after some help please, i ahve read a few post on here and followed some advice however i dont know whether what we are doing is wrong or wether the problem is more serious.
We have a back boiler on the ground floor, a hot water tank in the airing cupboard and a little commodore pump in the cellar.
We got in a profesional to fit the hot water tank as the previous one had been leaking into the kitchen below. He fited everything and said it was all sorted and off he went. Once he had gone we had noticed we had no hot water but we had central heating. We have treid ontacting him but with no joy so far and it has now been two days.
My uncle is an ex plumber and advised us to drain the system and then refill it. We did this and had to drain the central heating from the point in the cellar as this wasnt empting through the water tank. We did this and then refilled the water tank. However the radiators were not filling with water so we were told to bleed them. We did this and two of the downstairs radiators got hot straight away and on the third the bottom of it got hot but no further and then all of the upstairs one would not bleed and have no water in whatsoever.
I have felt the pipes down in the cellar ad either side of the pump the pipes are hot, the pipes to the ground floor are hot and the ones going upstairs are hot for a bout 2 meters short of the first floor.
Can anyone please please help are we doing something wrong or is there a more serious problem??????

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:28 pm

The system is full of air, draining and refilling sometimes works.

Try turning pump speed up
vent all radiators,
crack open the tank connections to let air escape.

Airlocks can be very awkward to shift.

htg

hells1980
Labourer
Labourer

by hells1980 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:48 pm

Thanks for the note back,

I have a commodore pump in the cellar, this doesnt seem to anymore settings than on ....... should it have or am i missing something???????
Also in and around the tank there are no connections that i can undo to let air out.
Should i open the bleed valves on all the radiators at the same time and leave the heating on will that help pump water around the system????

Thanks again

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1