Replacing an integrated fridge for a dishwasher
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gogs
Apprentice
Apprentice

Replacing an integrated fridge for a dishwasher

by gogs » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:59 am

I wonder if this a straight forward job and if anyone can offer any advise.

When the house was purchased new the previous owners went for the fridge but not the dishwasher.

We do not want the fridge but would like to get a dishwasher, the unit to the lef of the sink was where the builder would have put the washer had it been required, however that is just a cupboard now and to the left of that is the fridge.

Does this pose any problems with regards to fitting in the the plumbing under the sink for water supply and waste as that is a bit further to go than normal perhaps....or can you get longer connecters and such like.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:22 pm

It shouldn't be a problem, providing the D/washer will go in the unit and the door will hang on it, as d/washers tend to open downwards and fridges to the side.
The plumbing should not be a problem providing access is available to cold water feed and also provisions for waste are available.
Can I assume that the socket for the fridge is also to be used for the d/washer.
KB

gogs
Apprentice
Apprentice

by gogs » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:13 pm

It is a run of the mill 600mm unit so I would have hoped any standard size integrated washer would fit the unit.

As for the door, would need a replacement there, company said could supply that ok with a new handle, they also said integrated dishwashers come with a fitting kit?

There is access to cold water and waste, its just they are further away than normal so wondered what was out there in order to make it work.

For example the standard kit you get with washing machines would not reach, can the waste pipes be replaced for longer ones with no fuss.

I am hoping the socket can be used easy enough, however I have read about people having to cut the moulded plugs off, I have not even attemped to remove the fridge so dont know what the set up is exactly.

Also read some reviews on smeg washers and some people complained they would not adjust high enough, thought this would have been standard adjustments, perhaps not.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:02 pm

Shoud not have a problem with the waste, for long runs I like to put 22mm copper pipe in as it's not as bulky as the plastic pipe they use to connect waste, then the flexy waste from machine will jubilee clip to the copper pipe.
The supply for water can be run behind units or benneath floor or in ceiling void if needs be.
Moulded plugs the only reason for removing these are if the cable or plug top is damaged, then it would be stupid not replace plug rather than replace appliance. You can buy 13amp plugs easy enough.
Smeg pass not sure about them, I'd assume they are all standard.
KB

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:04 pm