Replacing an internal door frame
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
vanessag
Labourer
Labourer

Replacing an internal door frame

by vanessag » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:43 pm

We have a door in between living and dining room with a rotten frame. we have had a DPC to all the house so unsure wot is causing the damp? any ideas? also how do u go about replacing it and what is need materials/ tools wise?

any help much appreciated

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:46 pm

vanessag,
If the frame is about 5cm thick it was probably an outside door frame at some time in the past. Hence the rot.
If the frame is only 2cm thick it is an internal door lining and the rot may be due to the lack of a DPC in the past.
You'll need a new frame (of the same type) from a builders merchant and will have to fit packing pieces to get it to fit the old opening - use frame fixings to hold the frame in place. Paint the frame on all sides before you fit it.
end

vanessag
Labourer
Labourer

door frame

by vanessag » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:07 am

thx for the advice bout the door frame
the frame itself is 6" wide and i hav a gud idea about wot to do once i hav removed the old frame.
the 1 thing I am worried about is their are bricks above the frame.
will I be ok to remove the frame, then replace straight away without having to support it.
Obviously do not want to remove the frame and have the brickwork coming down.
Any advice wud be appreciated.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:43 pm

vanessag,
There should be some sort of lintol above the frame opening, just in case have a piece of timber cut to the right length to support the frame head, put this in place while you remove the sides. You can then try removing the centre support and see if the masonry above is stable, if not then you will have to fit acrows with strongboys.
end

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:56 am