Replacing Ceiling Light but Forgotten What Wire Goes Where
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
henryshep
Labourer
Labourer

Replacing Ceiling Light but Forgotten What Wire Goes Where

by henryshep » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:13 pm

I am replacing a ceiling light, but never took a picture of the wiring before the original was taken down.

They are the old colour scheme.

I have two red wires (live), one yellow/green (ground) and two black (neutral) coming from the 'main' circuit', and two red wires, one yellow/green, one black, and one black with a brown sleeve (switch).

I have wired the grounds together and into the light, and the neutrals together and into the light, and I have the black with brown sleeve wire also going into the light.

I am not sure what to do with the four red wires. From what I've seen online they only show three red wires. I have tried some combinations I thought worked, but it either didn't turn on, or the switch wouldn't work.

It would be great if someone could point me in the right direction. Thank you.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Replacing Ceiling Light but Forgotten What Wire Goes Where

by Mr White » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:08 am

If you are saying you have 4 cables, each cable has Red, Black and earth, and one black has brown sleeving, connect all 3 plain blacks together, connect all earths together, connect all 4 reds together.

Connect the actual lamp to the single black with brown sleeve and the 3 all blacks.
The 4 reds stay as they are, just 4 reds.

henryshep
Labourer
Labourer

by henryshep » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:58 am

Thanks.
I've tried putting all four in, however the neighbouring light was connected to the switch.
From looking into, it seems I need to put the black and brown sleeve with a red wire into the live, and connect the other three red lives together.
Does that make any sense?

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:00 pm

You appear to have not done as I said.

I never said "Put all 4 reds in" I did say "connect all 4 reds together"

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:47 pm