replacing central heating
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
eddie286
Labourer
Labourer

replacing central heating

by eddie286 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:26 pm

I am in the process of costing the replacement of my exsisting back boiler central heating with a condensing gas boiler and new radiators.
I am looking at a top range boiler :?: from Vailiant/Glow-worm,
Any best buys. ??. I have been advised by a retired corgi installer that repluming the rads with 10mm and the hot water with 15mm piping is an advantage to the performance of the the boiler. My house has concrete floors throughout, no hiding pipework. Is this repluming that much of an advantage?? :?:

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:01 pm

10mm is quick for installation, and with modern systems if well looked after will last as long as any other pipework without blockages etc.

If you're re-piping in 10mm re-pipe the whole system, don't have half radiators in 10mm and half rads in 15mm as you will have balancing problems.

It's up to you, new pipework would be best for a pressurised system - but as you say alot of work and mess.

Could you not run pipes under floorboards upstairs and drop the pipes down the wall to each radiator - in trunking ? then as you re-decorate each room you can sink the pipes into the walls

rather than digging up a concrete floor ?

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1