replacing coal burner with log burner
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
olivier
Labourer
Labourer

replacing coal burner with log burner

by olivier » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:28 am

Having converted my house to gas central heating i stopped using the coal burner in the dining room and have now bought a wood log burner (to burn a few logs over christmas diner, usage of 5 times a year...) and wondered if the existing flue is sufficient or need a flue liner up to the top of the cheminey or just a couple of metres up...?
The coal burner had no flue liner at all.
What do i need to check first?
Had a quote from my gas central heating installer but he went for the complete flue liner option, thought it was either over the top or wanted to make more cash!!

jondeau
Ganger
Ganger

by jondeau » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:41 am

Very tricky........and I can't blame your installer for going for the full liner option.

The trouble with logs is, that they deposit large amounts of tar and resin on the inside of the flue. This of course increases the chance of a chimney fire occuring.

Personally I would line it, but do make sure that the liner is suitable for a log fire. Lining the flue will not prevent chimney fires, but will prevent damage to the masonary and the fire spreading through cracks in the brickwork.

olivier
Labourer
Labourer

by olivier » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:53 am

Thanks for your reply!
I just had a chimney sweeper coming round and found out that the work couldn't be done as the chimney is at an angle and the access to the chimney as been plastered over or never existed. That becomes then my next job!!
According to him I wouldn't need a complete flue liner, just an easy access for sweeping the chimney regularly. He also recommended a metal plate on top of the log burner that could be vacuumed when sweeping the chimney.

johnb
Ganger
Ganger

by johnb » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:09 pm

hi olivia jondeau is dead on right, don't risk it if you later sell the property and owners decide to use the fire on a more regular basis it could come back and bite you, keep as a coal burner or line it basically all the best john

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1